3/21/20

Behind the Scenes: Real Purpose: You are Special

https://www.amazon.com/Real-Purpose-You-Are-Special-ebook/dp/B00LAQO86K/ref=sr_1_16?keywords=cassandra+ulrich&qid=1583600081&sr=8-16
Real Purpose: You Are Special is a collection of poetry born out of the determination to show that a person's real purpose is grounded in their existence. Each individual brings something special to this planet. Points of view and decisions made along this journey affects the outcome, but each one of us is loved and valued by our Creator.

Inspiration / Muse:
I spent much of my middle school, high school, and college years thinking. I thought about who I was and who I wanted to be. I mused over why I made certain choices. I studied the beauty around me and the reasons why I existed on planet Earth in this wonderfully vast universe. I'd listened to so many of my friends ask, "What's my purpose in this life?" My response, "What if our primary purpose was to love God and others while doing good on this planet, whatever that might be?"

Theme:
The collection contains statements, declarations, questions, and devotion. In no way do the poems directly answer the question of purpose, but they point to a path that leads to more questions and a guide book, The Bible. Interestingly enough, The Bible doesn't specifically answer the question of purpose. Instead, it points to something deeper--the value of the human soul. Love is woven throughout the pages.

Journey:
Although I grew up believing in a monotheistic God, I questioned everything. I still do. I made friends who practiced other religions or none at all. I still have friends whose lives and faith are vastly different than mine. Why? Because I believe God wants me to love Him and others (Deuteronomy 6:5; Leviticus 19:18; Matthew 22:37-40), no matter the differences. This has been most challenging with others who fall under the umbrella of Christianity. It's why I hold on to Christ first and foremost. He was/is the only perfect human being and interacted with people who were considered societal/religious outcasts and showed them love.

Meaning behind the cover:
I met with a college student and read a few poems from the collection. Although North American born, she captured my Caribbean heritage with the gorgeous blue skies I grew up under. I like that it shows people just going about their daily routine. Nothing superstar and that's just fine.

Impact / Tribute:
I wrote all these poems before I graduated college, yet they are fill with a depth that surprises me now that I'm older. There's an innocence imbued with maturity that amazes me. People from youth to seniors have told me how much these poems have encouraged them.

So, whether you believe in God or not, I hope you can find inspiration and encouragement in the words I penned some time ago. Here's to you feeling loved and valued.

The third in the Behind the Scenes series is planned for April 4, 2020. 

http://mobile.cassandraulrich.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment