5/2/20

Behind the Scenes: Billiard Buddies

https://www.amazon.com/Billiard-Buddies-Cassandra-Ulrich-ebook/dp/B07VK1839Z/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=cassandra+ulrich&qid=1585435397&sr=8-3
Billiard Buddies contains a love rectangle where the two main characters are avid billiard players and the female pool shark meets a guy who dared to challenge her on her turf. She had no intention of losing her game much less her heart to him.

Inspiration / Muse:
I played billiards in college and loved it. My dad, a bartender, had received two pool sticks from tourists visiting the island. The one he gave me is the one I describe in the book. I often competed with other players, all of whom were males. I remember how impressed they were that I had to screw the two halves of my stick together prior to the first game. I don't have my bedazzled pool stick anymore, but I found a way for it to live on in the minds of every reader.

Songs by Colbie Caillat in Coco influenced the overall mood of the story and even some of the plot. So much so, that even Gina, the female protagonist, depended on the contents of this album to get her through heartbreak and unrequited elation at newfound love. This love drama already has a Tailor Made soundtrack.

Theme:
This is a story about friendship, family, heartbreak, dreams, desire, respect, fun, and, of course, intense focus on a game where passions explode and the winner takes all.

Journey:
I wanted to write about a female pool shark, and Kindergarten teacher, Gina, fit the bill. She became the embodiment of the songs in the Coco album. However, Gina wasn't the only one to experience heartbreak. This book struggled through three rejections before landing a contract. After a few years, the publisher closed and returned the rights to me. I relaunched Billiard Buddies in 2019

Meaning behind the cover:
Well, no one should be surprised that the cover started with some kind a drama. First try: Not enough clothes. 😲 (I needed Oxygen) Second try: Guy looks like he was teaching the pool shark. Really? 😒 So, I searched for the picture with the help of a friend. You wouldn't believe how hard it was to find fully clothed people playing pool. Third try: Ahh. Finally. 😌 Not perfect, but it'll do.

Impact / Tribute:
This story has made many readers smile. Some have told me the descriptions of the games are spot on.  It also brought about some interesting reviews. This is a sweet contemporary romance, meaning nothing too steamy (just to be clear). I mistakenly thought the fully clothed characters on the cover would make that crystal. Um. Apparently not. 😂

Thanks, Dad, for giving me that bedazzled pool stick so many years ago. Like Gina, I lost an influential and devoted father from my life.

The sixth in the Behind the Scenes series is planned for May 16, 2020. 

http://mobile.cassandraulrich.com/published-manuscripts/billiard-buddies/

No comments:

Post a Comment