6/6/20

Behind the Scenes: Adelle & Brandon: Friends for Life

https://www.amazon.com/Adelle-Brandon-Friends-Cassandra-Ulrich-ebook/dp/B07GRGST9V/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=cassandra+ulrich&qid=1585436058&sr=8-4
Adelle & Brandon: Friends for Life is a short story about a young woman's hope that a long time friendship will grow into something more. In the meantime, she remains as a shoulder for him to cry on whenever he has a breakup.

Inspiration / Muse:
During a South Jersey Writers' Group meeting, a guest speaker talked about about the best way to write descriptions of the scene so the reader isn't bored. In response, I started writing the first half of this story the moment I arrived home.

Theme:
Friendship, love, and longing pretty much covers it.

Journey:
For two years after finishing the first part of the story, no additional scenes came to mind. I thought the story was complete until a dance performance with a similar beginning inspired the rest. Only then did I know the end of the story had arrived.

Meaning behind the cover:
The pinky-swear and Coney Island are involved in a major turning point in Adelle's and Brandon's lives--the day they promised to remain "Friends for Life" despite the fact that they'd be living in different cities. When the graphic artist asked me whether I wanted to use warm or cold colors on the cover, I had no idea how to respond. After a bit of research on the internet, I choose a rainbow of cold to warm colors from top to bottom to depict the progression of Adelle's friendship with Brandon. I'm very pleased that this cover has received many compliments.

Impact / Tribute:
I enjoy rereading Adelle and Brandon's story over and over. I've spoken to others who feel the same way. It's a sweet, feel good kind of story with a bonus short, a tribute to my dad, to wrap up the small book. I hope you enjoy it too.

The eight in the Behind the Scenes series is planned for June 20, 2020.

http://mobile.cassandraulrich.com/published-manuscripts/adelle-and-brandon-friends-for-life/

No comments:

Post a Comment